|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 3, 2020
Christina Crooks Bryan
Delaware Healthcare Association Releases Equity & Anti-Racism Statement
DHA’s Hospital Members Commit to Fostering Environment for Inclusion, Equality
(DOVER, DE – December 3, 2020) The Delaware Healthcare Association (DHA) today released its equity and anti-racism statement. This statement was developed by DHA’s hospital members and approved by the Association’s Board of Directors, made up of the chief executives of Delaware’s acute care and pediatric hospitals.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected people of color, clearly demonstrating there is more work to be done to address disparities and achieve health equity,” said Delaware Healthcare Association President & CEO Wayne Smith. “Our statement reflects the primacy our association and Delaware’s hospitals and health systems place on addressing health inequities.”
DHA Equity and Anti-Racism Statement
Our members play an important role in our communities – we are a place to foster peace, relieve pain, and be partners in the fight for equality and equity. Our members:
- condemn all racism, bigotry, and discrimination.
- commit to treating each and every individual in a dignified and respectful manner regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture, language, physical or mental disability, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
- will identify and remediate racism and discrimination within our organizations.
- commit to valuing diversity and fostering an environment for inclusion as we support all our caregivers and serve all our neighbors with love, respect and excellence, in our actions and in our words.
- will purposefully identify, discuss, and challenge issues of race and color and the impact(s) they have on our organizations, our systems, and our people. We will also challenge ourselves to understand and correct any inequities we may discover and gain a better understanding of ourselves during this purposeful process.
The Delaware Healthcare Association and its members will continue to develop individual initiatives as well as industry efforts designed to support the components of the statement.
About the Delaware Healthcare Association
The Delaware Healthcare Association (DHA) was formed in 1967 to assist Delaware hospitals in working on issues concerning health care and the hospital industry. DHA is a statewide trade and membership services organization that serves as a leader in the promotion of effective change in health services through collaboration and consensus building on health care issues at the State and Federal levels. DHA’s vision is to be the leading and respected voice for hospitals and health care delivery systems in Delaware working together to deliver compassionate, accessible, high quality, financially sustainable health care to the patients and communities they serve. DHA’s mission is to provide policy and advocacy leadership in creating an excellent environment for enabling every Delawarean to be as healthy as they